“We’ve already conquered that hurdle, and we’re not going back over it again.” He looked me in the eyes as he reassured me that I was making progress. He’s watched me struggle with insecurity about my lifts. Is there a battle raging in your head that cycles around the same issue? It helps to listen to a calm voice of authority and tune out the critics. But what if the most significant critic is you? What makes that inner critic rear its head? And what is the secret to conquering hurdles in our thinking?
How to Conquer Hurdles in Our Thinking
In the Passion Translation, Psalms 119:59 says, “When I realize that I’m going astray, I turn back to obey your instructions.”
- The first step is realizing that our thoughts are going astray.
- Secondly, we turn back to God’s instructions.
- Thirdly, we repeat steps one and two as often as needed.
Instructions About Our Thought Life
- We need to take our thoughts captive. I love how the Passion Translations puts it, “We capture, like prisoners of war, every thought and insist it bow in obedience to the Anointed One.” (2 Corinthians 10:5 TPT)
- As we take our thoughts captive, our minds are renewed as the Holy Spirit transforms the way we think. (Romans 12:2)
- We will be set free by knowing the Truth about how we should think. (John 8;32)
- And we must learn to anchor our thoughts on what is true, honorable, right, lovely, and admirable. (Philippians 4:8)
- After allowing the Holy Spirit to renew our thoughts, we must put on our new nature and imitate Him. (Ephesians 4:23-24)
- We must continue to grow in wisdom to keep our minds on the right course. (Proverbs 23:19)
- And we must live according to the Holy Spirit so that our minds remain set on what pleases Him. (Romans 8:5)
I know where I stand on this continuum. And it’s a daily, sometimes hourly, struggle to realize how far my thoughts have drifted from being centered on God. I pause, breathe deeply, and tune into the calm voice of Authority. Then I remember that we’ve already conquered this hurdle, and we’re not going back over it again!
What hurdles are you facing in your thoughts? Where are you located in this process of conquering hurdles in your thinking? Take some time to journal and pray. Allow God to reveal to you what steps you need to take.
Holy Spirit, take over! Empower us by Your presence. We realize how far we have strayed, and we are turning back to Your instructions. We trust You. And we look to You to renew our minds and keep us in perfect peace as we trust in You.